Alex Fraser History
136 years of innovation
Established in 1879, Alex Fraser is one of Melbourne’s oldest companies. Alex Fraser ran the metals trading business until retiring in 1920, when employee Arch McKellar acquired an interest in the company. Since then the company passed through four generations of McKellars, the last of which left the company in 2013.
In the 1950s the business responded to an increase in demand for scrap metal. Soon the company became the leader in decommissioning complex industrial structures, recovering much of the materials for reuse.
This innovation, combined with a great deal of persistence, led to steady growth and saw Alex Fraser develop from a small, locally based business, to a multi-site company with eight state-of-the-art facilities across three states.