Alex Fraser Group News

News

Home > About us > News > STATE OF INNOVATION

STATE OF INNOVATION

Date: 15-Oct-2016

Research by Alex Fraser, Swinburne University and RMIT will be funded by the Victorian Government.

Nearly 260,000 tonnes of glass waste is generated each year – much of it collected from Melbourne residents’ wheelie bins. Only 48 per cent is recycled back into traditional glass usage, while the remaining 52 percent would otherwise be stockpiled or go to landfill.
 
Meanwhile, as sand and stone deposits close to the Melbourne are exhausted, material to maintain and build infrastructure has to be trucked further. A report released by the Victorian Government highlighted this problem, and without innovative solutions there will be increased truck numbers on already congested roads.
 
Twelve years ago, Alex Fraser pioneered a way to recycle some of the growing stockpiles of glass back into sand for use in the construction industry, helping to address these two issues at the same time.
 
In October, the Victorian Government announced funding for several research projects between Victorian universities and industry partners designed to find further innovative uses for waste products. Alex Fraser has partnered with Swinburne University and RMIT in two separate projects which will receive funding under the Victorian Government’s announcement.
 
Managing Director Peter Murphy said: “We’ve always had an ongoing research and development program to identify what can be recycled, and how it can be used to build and maintain infrastructure. One of these research projects is focused on how glass can be blended with recycled concrete to enhance its use in road construction. The other project investigates more innovative uses for recycled glass. Both projects aim to prevent landfilling glass and quarrying new materials.
 
“Melbourne can be pretty proud of this, it is a rare combination of economic and environmental gains,” he said. “In other parts of the world, they’ve completely given up on recycling glass. But last year we took 141,000 tonnes of glass and were able to use it to maintain essential infrastructure like freeways, bike paths, footpaths and drainage.”

 

to top

Contact Us Call 136 135

for media enquiries email cara.spencer@alexfraser.com.au
or call 0417 030 232